University Classification: Administrator, HR Services
Working Title: Leave and Disability Manager
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: Human Resources Director
UI Job Code: PGB3
Job Function: Human Resources
Job Family: Human Resources Specialty Services
This position will serve as the Leave and Disability Manager for UI Health Care (UIHC and CCOM) leading the Leave and Disability Administration Office to manage cases according to federal regulated law as well as provide training to HR Business Partners, Supervisors and Staff. This position will oversee and manage the UI Health Care programs, policies, and procedures regarding employee requests for medical accommodations and family medical leave. Leads team to review provided medical information and make determination for approval of authorized medical leaves, in accordance with the Family Medical Leave Act or Americans with Disabilities Act as applicable.
Assists employees who request job modifications/accommodations in order to support their return-to-work and stay-at-work efforts, and assists human resources business partners to maintain appropriate staffing. Identifies needs, develops long range plans and initiatives, provides strategic planning and advice, and recommends new policies, procedures and practices, collaborating with University Human Resources when appropriate.
Keys Areas of Responsibility:
- Make recommendations and implement strategic plan initiatives by developing and providing new services or programs.
- Provide direction in the planning, developing, assessing, and evaluating cases for action and/or follow-up.
- Plans, organizes, staffs, directs, control the day-to-day operations of the leave and disability unit.
- Develop reporting, tracking and monitoring systems and implement processes to control costs and improve performance.
- Assists in the development and implementation of a central, inter-departmental Health Care FMLA eligibility, tracking, and usage database.
- Creates, analyzes and distributes various leave reports to management and/or HR Business Partners.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws such as Workers Compensation, ADA, FMLA, Title VII, HR policies and labor agreement provisions.
- Ensures accurate administration of leave management programs and the processing of leave claims according to contract provisions, established procedures, and Federal and State regulations.
- Collaborates with business partners to develop solutions to increase employee FMLA benefit knowledge, efficiency of claims and communication, and identify sources for error or inaccuracy.
- Works with departments, supervisors, and employees to implement job modifications and/or accommodations and coordinate implementation at the worksite.
- Develops and provides FMLA, ADA and leave benefits education and resources to departments and staff.
- Develops and delivers presentations and training to employees, management and HR business partners on current and new policies or programs.
- Assist Employee and Labor Relations in handling labor grievances, investigations, disputes, employee issues and concerns related to leave and disability management.
- Collaborates with the Health Care Payroll Office to monitor the entry of leave codes and leave of absence requests within the ELMS/HRIS systems.
- Effectively communicates and consults with HR Business Partners, Managers/Supervisors, Employee and Labor Relations, and other business partners throughout the University.
- Reviews submitted forms and medical evidence to evaluate and determine approval period for FMLA requests. Communicate with health care providers as appropriate. Communicate with employees regarding FMLA request options and outcomes.
- Utilize Payroll and other HR Information Systems to evaluate hours worked vs. hours paid from an institutional and departmental standpoint.
- Supervises a team of Leave and Disability members, will develop new and current staff through training and monitoring performance, additionally will lead and conduct all team meetings.
Positive Impact/Achieving Results
Ability to utilize existing resources and learning to achieve or exceed desired outcomes of current and future organizational goals/needs. Able to demonstrate ethical behavior in diverse situations while producing results
Service Excellence/Customer Focus
Ability to meet or exceed customer service needs and expectations and provide excellent service in a direct or indirect manner. Ability to effectively transmit and interpret information through appropriate communication with internal and external customers
Collaboration and Embracing Diversity
Ability to work with a variety of individuals and groups in a constructive and civil manner while appreciating the unique contribution of individuals from varied cultures, race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Considerable (3-5 years) professional human resources experience, which includes experience managing complex FMLA and ADA cases for a large organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience and ability with providing excellent and timely customer service
- Demonstrated ability to influence and persuade others in either positive or negative circumstances using tact and professionalism
- Must be proficient in computer software applications
- Demonstrated ability to successfully plan, coordinate and complete multiple projects/work initiatives at one time
- Supervisory experience
- PHR or SPHR certification
- Prior experience in the health care industry
- Ability and prior experience working in a fast paced, diverse work environment
- Demonstrated record of leveraging technology to improve efficiency of FMLA/ADA Programs
- Prior experience interpreting and administering federal and state statutes and regulations governing leave and disabilities
- Prior experience training and mentoring HR Business Partners