Mercy Cedar Rapids Hiring an HR Specialist- FMLA/Work Comp
This position supports Mercy’s philosophy of patient centered care by coordinating workers compensation and leave of absence benefits according to established policies, rules and regulations. This position is also responsible for providing timely notification and communication with employees and supervisors regarding work status, light duty and leaves of absence.
Job Duties/Essential Functions
- Job Duties
- Oversees the leave of absence process by determining leave eligibility, preparing the respective notice(s), within the required timeframe, designating the appropriate leave status and tracking the start/end of leaves of absence in the HRIS.
- Counsels employees and supervisors to ensure effective use of Military, FMLA, MLOA, Short Term Disability and Long-Term Disability leave and facilitates the completion of required paperwork and documentation.
- Manages and coordinates all payroll entries for employees while on leave.
- Oversees all required OSHA and state reporting requirements for workers compensation and collaborates with TPA for First Report of Injury for State Industrial Commissioner filings.
- Manages the Midas Reporting System with daily review of new claims and processing the claims into Health Tracking. Audits and approves monthly Worker’s Compensation and Employee Health Center billings for payment.
- Coordinates the incident reporting process (Workers Compensation Claims) with TPA, including setting reserves for all files, assigning legal representation, staying appraised on all legal filings and processes and settling workers compensation claims and mediations. Communicates with General Counsel and Director, Human Resources to ensure a positive resolution of all claims.
- Coordinates appropriate medical appointments for employees who sustain workplace injuries or conditions.
- Assigns employees to light duty work within their home department or other assigned departments.
- Participates in monthly Safety Committee meetings and is actively involved with Environment of Care and Emergency Management Committees.
- Maintains up-to-date working knowledge of relevant laws, including FMLA, ADA, Workers’ Compensation, HIPAA, OSHA and related laws.
- Manages the ergonomic evaluation process by responding to requests, coordinating the scheduling of evaluations and tracking implementation of recommendations.
- Supports HR duties and projects as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Organizational and time management skills, with the ability to work productively in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft products and HR systems. Effectively interact and work collaboratively with all customers. Ability to communicate with compassion and assist employees during difficult times.
- Minimum three years of experience in leave of absence administration, workers compensation claims or HR Generalist background required.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a major in Human Resources, business or related field or equivalent experience in lieu of a degree is required.
Mercy is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, equity and inclusion and therefore evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.