Human Resources Manager
New Hampton, IA
Position Summary: This position will lead Sparboe Foods in handling routine HR operations in the areas of recruitment, retention, employee relations, and compliance. This position will also be responsible for assisting the Sparboe HR team with various HR functions and initiatives company wide. This position is responsible for coordinating, implementing and assisting in the execution of HR programs at the Foods location and providing support with Sparboe Farms locations when needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads Sparboe Foods and assists Sparboe Farms in the strategy to staff with skilled employees dedicated to operating an efficient facility.
- Manages Sparboe Foods and assists Sparboe Farms in the on-boarding process to ensure new hires maintain a positive attitude toward Company goals, recommends new hire training needs, and creates plans to ensure new hire retention. Provides direction to the HR Administrator to develop new hire on-boarding schedule.
- Works closely with managers and supervisors to evaluate and proactively ensure employee engagement and satisfaction to prevent employee turnover. Assists manager’s and supervisor’s employee engagement activities to emphasize quality, continuous improvement, and high performance. Conducts exits interviews to assess opportunities to improve retention.
- Manages Sparboe Foods and assists Sparboe Farms in the succession planning, training and development activities for Managers, Supervisors, Leads and Operator positions.
- Provides direction and support for HR Administrator on file management.
- Conducts routine audits at Sparboe Foods of location recruitment, training and supervisor files to ensure compliance with storage and retention requirements.
- Coordinates and executes corporate HR operation processes for locations; assists with annual and new hire benefit enrollment and elections and leave administration
- Works with managers on Sparboe Foods performance reviews, terminations, etc. Manages and administers performance review to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity equality within the location and assists other Sparboe locations when necessary.
- Provides input and information on the requirements and development of Sparboe HR and management SOPs; manages the implementation and communication of HR SOPs throughout the location.
- Facilitates location employee communication on ‘engagement committee’ and weekly HR touch base meetings.
- Advises managers, supervisors and employees on location security and risk management, including unauthorized access to Sparboe property, hiring practices, use of Sparboe information and property, and respect for confidentiality.
- Participates in regular Safety Committee meetings. Manages the application of HR policy, safety, and programs compliance, and creates initiatives with management and corporate HR to improve workforce practices.
- Assists with other HR duties and projects, as assigned.
- Collaborates and implements the sourcing and advertising activities to produce an on-going flow of applicants for hourly positions and supports hiring managers on selection. Trains managers and supervisors on effective interviewing techniques, oversees the interviewing process, and coordinates applicant tracking and filing. Directs administrators on handling employment inquiries. Monitors and advises on re-hire status.
- Maintains a master list of location position openings, develops staffing plans with hiring managers, and implements appropriate recruitment activities to fill positions on a timely basis.
- Conducts routine market analyses to creatively address labor pool shortages or opportunities. Assists location management in community-based communication strategies to ensure Sparboe is viewed favorably as an employer in the community.
- Coordinates with temporary employment agencies, as needed, to address temporary staffing needs. Directs temp agency compliance with Sparboe staffing services agreements and monitors compliance.
- Works closely with management to maintain location hourly job descriptions; updates job descriptions as positions change. Coordinates with Compliance to include audit requirements in job descriptions.
- Works with Corporate HR to conduct routine reviews and provide spot-training to ensure I-9 procedures are followed consistently and in compliance with Sparboe policy.
- Directs completion of new hire documents, including Payroll Status/Change notices, offer letters and new hire packets.
- Directs HR Administrator on coordination, processing and tracking of background checks and pre-employment physicals, etc.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Employee Relations (BA/BS) or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of four years of applicable experience in Human Resources.
- Specific experience in Recruiting, Retention, and Employee Relations & Development required.
- Handles sensitive, private and confidential information with utmost discretion.
- Experience with HRIS (Ultipro preferred).
- Extensive working knowledge of MS Office required.
- Consultative; ability to counsel and support managers and supervisors at all levels.
- Strong project management, organization and prioritization skills.
- Accuracy, thoroughness, and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.